FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Santas go freestyle for Children’s Hospice South West!
Children’s Hospice South West’s (CHSW) annual Santas on the Run event is back but not as you know it! Taking place over the weekend of the 11-13 December, supporters will be able to choose their own distance, route and festive fancy dress.
The festive fundraiser usually takes place at Great Torrington’s RHS Garden Rosemoor each year but the local children’s charity has taken the decision to hold it virtually this Christmas due to the pandemic. It’s free to register and anyone who manages to raise more than £15 will receive a special Santas on the Run medal.
Kiley Pearce, CHSW Events Fundraiser, said: “This year, Santas on the Run is going freestyle! Although we can’t all come together at Rosemoor, we can still spread some joy and laughter and we’d encourage everyone to go crackers with their festive fundraising! Whether you twinkle in tinsel or rock it like Rudolph, you can get creative with your costume and complete a distance of your choice, your way.”
CHSW’s Santas on the Run has taken place at Rosemoor since 2018 and before that was held in Bideford town centre. Over the years it’s seen thousands of people join together raising vital funds for CHSW and its Little Bridge House children’s hospice in Fremington.
Together with community partner Whirlwind Sports, CHSW is asking this year’s participants to raise sponsorship or make a donation to enable the charity to continue to providing vital care for children and families when they need it most, whether that be in the hospice or at home.
Kiley continued: “Over the weekend of 11-13 December we will have a warm-up for people to join online each day, as well as lots of prizes including for the best-dressed family, child and dog! Individuals who raise £15 or more will also receive a medal. It’s undoubtedly been a challenging year and we would encourage people to get involved however they like this Christmas but most importantly, have fun and help us raise money to continue supporting local children living with life-limiting conditions and their families.”
Registration is free! Simply register your interest at www.chsw.org.uk/santas and join the charity’s event on Facebook by searching ‘Santas on the Run – goes freestyle’ www.facebook.com/events/649916122169450
Children’s Hospice South West (CHSW)
- Children’s Hospice South West was first registered with the charity commission in 1991. It is dedicated to making the most of short and precious lives, providing the best possible hospice care for life-limited children and their families
- There are now three hospices in the South West: Little Bridge House in Barnstaple (opened 1995), Charlton Farm in Bristol (opened 2007) and Little Harbour in St Austell (opened 2011)
- CHSW is the only children’s hospice in the South West. It costs around £11 million to run the 3 hospice sites each year and the charity relies almost entirely on voluntary contributions
- CHSW delivers a range of services including short breaks, specialist play, music therapy, activities for siblings, palliative and emergency care, end of life care, bereavement support and specialist medical care - all available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- The services are free for families. To find out more about our work, visit www.chsw.org.uk